Friday, March 1, 2013

Getting in Shape for Comic Con: Part 1

"Man, I gotta get in shape for Comic Con."
       -- No one.  Ever.
Until now!  Just kidding.  But in all seriousness, on February 16th, Comic Con International opened their online badge sales for Comic Con 2013.  With multiple mobile devices ready to go at high noon, we crossed our fingers and tried our luck at getting tickets back to San Diego this year...and, landing at number 15,731 in the waiting room, we still managed to score 4-day passes with Preview Night.  I heard there was a TON of trouble with the online registration and that a lot of people are pissed about the way it worked out--sorry folks, not trying to rub it in--so I am extremely grateful we have our tickets back to San Diego this year.  Oh, and a special shout-out to my old-school Kindle....of all our electronic devices, YOU were the only one that actually got us to the waiting room.  That three-bar signal and my crappy touch screen button-mashing saw us through the registration process.  Since that day, I've had a special bond with my Kindle.

Anyway, back on topic: getting in shape for Comic Con!  Yes, I mean it!  I have been to SDCC three times (before it was the monster it is now), and to NYCC for the first time last year.  Never have I ventured to participate in cosplay.  I've decided this is the big year, the year I dress up.  But SDCC is the big leagues....you can't half-ass a Comic Con costume.  The details need to be accurate and I intend to get as many of them right as I possibly can.  So now is the time to start crafting a costume (or costumes) and, well, getting in shape. 


I whittled Rubi out of balsa wood. No joke. 
 I totally whittled a weapon for Comic Con, and I'd do it all over again.
Are you ready for this?  I don't think you're ready for this... ARE YOU READY?  Okay, so maybe I cheated a little and have already started with the costume preparations...at least the accessories, because I can't sew to save my life.  I was just so darn excited to make my own gun that I made an art project out of crafting the incendiary pistol toted by my character...if you are at all familiar with the games from 2012, or can read, this photo of my handywork gives away who it is. 

I have a lead on a wonderful and talented local gal who will help me with the fabric design,  so I'll be focusing on getting all the other details right in the coming months....and on developing some solid bets for costumes for the rest of our Comic Con adventure.  Four days=four costumes..right? I'm especially interested in doing a cross-play, but have yet to come up with a satisfactory comic or gaming character.  So if anyone out there has a great idea for a male character that would make a cool female version, let me know!!  I'll keep you posted on costume progress in the coming months.

I need to wrap this up...The Last Starfighter is on TV and that little nugget of 80s nostalgia is just too good to pass up.  And before anyone even suggests it, no, I will not dress up as Grig for Comic Con.  Reptiles are kinda off limits...a girl has to have her standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment