Friday, May 17, 2013

Redefining Hunger Games...

I love, love , love Jennifer Lawrence.  But somehow I don't think her eating habits will help me get in shape for Comic Con.
Any other time, I'm right there with ya, sister!
I love eating. "Work out to pig out" is a mantra I have embraced in the past. I would never take on a diet that left me starving all the time.  While I have still been eating reasonably since starting the Getting in Shape for Comic Con initiative, I didn't realize how unbalanced my diet has actually been for the last, oh, ten years of my life. I don't eat much junk food, but I certainly have not been eating the right kinds of things to recover from workouts, keep my energy level up, and slim down.  Case in point: on a rigorous workout day--one where I am burning 800-1000 calories with high intensity interval training--I need to be consuming about 110 grams of protein on that day! That is a LOT of protein. To give you an idea, one protein bar typically has 10-12 grams of protein.  I had no idea that my protein intake was too low until a few weeks ago, and now I have to really think about the protein in all my meals, which I never did before.
If you are looking for a decent post-workout recovery protein drink, I would recommend Melissa's Mix, which you can get on Amazon.com.  it is much less expensive than the more well-known competitor brands, has the same composition and is actually better in that it is formulated for women.  There is a chocolate brownie flavor that tastes really good with coconut water or plain water.
Another thing to watch out for, ladies, particularly if your dairy consumption is low, is how much calcium you're getting.  Since I have eliminated most dairy from my diet (it causes me to bulk up really fast) I have to ensure I take a multivitamin to get enough calcium. Or drink milk! Bone strong = Captain Marvel strong!
Of course I am writing this on the evening of a splurge day which is being capped off with a few hours of adult refreshments and playing Defiance.....so I should wrap this up before I make some not-so-healthy recommendations. I'll have some new opinions out about Defiance soon!Photo via Buzzfeed.com

No comments:

Post a Comment